Pages

Friday 11 September 2015

8, Steering Column


So eventually I found an E34 steering column - with a knackered stalk, but I managed to find another so not too bad. I paid a lot for it seemingly (£200) but I tried for months to find one and could not.

I posted a question on the forum and got a lot of comments on how much people have paid - all less than me!  but hey - I have it now so onwards!

I fit it up to the car but it was very apparent it did not fit.....another call to Jon and he shed light that you have to cot the bracket down to avoid the body/frame...

So I did.....


Was this enough?  another trial fit required...


In short - Nope it wasn't so it was cut back up to the cross brace and this was then enough.  You may also notice that I have chopped off the LHS part of the 'Y' bracket on the column, I found this was hitting the body and preventing moment of the column extension so as its not needed off it came.



Now I need to remove the column lock and IGN barrel - I need to have a look how to do this first!  Ill take some snaps etc as I assume it should be relatively difficult!


So  - lets remove the IGN barrel - first mistake snapping the bloody key!  What a nob!  Left it in the column and dropped it - this bent it - tried to bend it back and - well, you can see the result.


So this is the column lock - I want to remove this as I ma going to use an immo as my second form of  immobilising the engine.  I don't want to use the key on the column at all (and I broke the bloody thing so I can't!)


 

Ok so first to remove the column lock - Im not sure if this would enact on my new steering wheel (as I haven't got one yet) but it makes be nervous about the possibility so its going!

I removed the bar that retains the lock - drilled it first but then managed to prise it out with pliers and a screwdriver.

Out the lock comes!

Now for the barrel - I looked on the web and took some hints - it wast fairly easy but thought it would be a nightmare!


There is a small hole in the silver part of the barrel - I inserted a 1mm allen key in this hole and pushed it whilst turning the key (I managed to push the broken part in and still use it luckily) - there is one angle where it goes in much further - this is what you want.   I then pushed hard on the allen key and this releases the catch on the inside of the barrel.  Out it pops!




Then for the inside mechanism - I wanted this out also incase it rattled - managed to get some pilers in there and force it out!




The leaver that raises the lack is still in place but this doesn't rattle as it is sprung so I'm leaving this in place.

Sp the column is now fitted (see dash section)  I had to remove the bracket that holds th harness carrier also as it clashed with the slider bracket to allow the column to extend and retract - I noticed this straight away (NOT!)......so now slides pretty well.



No comments:

Post a Comment