Pages

Friday 11 September 2015

5, Fuel Tank

I toyed with a few ways of attaching the fuel tank  - apparently AK recommend tapping holes as it mounts from the underside of the chassis (why not put the tabs on the top??? who knows).  Anyway the tabs go underneath so they need attaching somehow.

Bolts won't do as they will protrude too much not the top side as this is where the body will sit.

So a few umm's and error's later .....

i decided not to tap the holes for a few reasons -Im crap at tapping holes its very difficult to do it well with hand tools so I am not confident with this..... Also the chassis is the GENIII chassis which is lighter and thus only 2mm think box section at the back - is this really enough to support this weight?  doesn't feel right....

I then came up with a novel (I think) idea - I inserted rivnuts into the top face of the chassis - these then receive the bolts form underneath and only protrude about 2mm on the top surface - I used M8 rivnuts and all seems good....so hopefully job done.



No comments:

Post a Comment