Pages

Sunday 20 September 2015

13, Doors Boot Bonnet

So I have started to look at boot bonnet and doors - I need to cut the wood for the door panels and get rubber seals for round all of them....so trawling round bay i found this place that sells many different seals and handy bags of all the different types to trial fit before buying....

So I have picked right angles seals for the doors and vertical for the boot and bonnet. Someone might buy these for me for exams - if I can wait that long (it will never happen!).

Now to cut the door templates.....and then I will need the locks etc - but I need to have the money to make an order from S&J - as I need lights etc from them also as well as locks etc so need to save some $$$.


So 3m of Door seals and 11m of bonnet and boot seals - lets see how they fit when they arrive!

So they have arrived.....popped it around the bonnet and  - HEY PRESTO it doesn't fit!  It holds the bonnet far too high.....F&^%*YRHG*Y^$*FHH!!!!!

Ring Ring....call to AK yet again to ask what they use....Jon tells me that they use a company for the seals and gives me their name (escapes me as I write this).....and then gives the code number for the seal to order.....WHY ISNT IT IN THE MANUAL?!?!?!?  FFS!!!!

So another £50 down the toilet - they are not even on the recommended supplier light...GRRRR!!

So will be placing an order with the correct place for the simple 'U' shaped seal soon....

So whilst I was at the Classic Car Show at the NEC - I stumbled across 'Woolies' who do the seal i required - something like SDS26 or something - 7m Jon said - I bought 8 just in case.....so I now have the 'proper' stuff rather than the one i bought - my scrap pile is getting bigger and more expensive all the time!!!

Will fit it when i have 5!
Oh and by the way - YES that is my carpet - and not I didn't pick it!  It was in the house when we bought it and NO I don't live in a pub!  It will all be getting ditched - the house needs doing as well as the car!  Im juggling the two at the moment!

So new rubber on -all good - fits well ....a lot better than the one that didn't fit anyway ; )

Bought the Number plate lamp at the Classic Car Show from SVC so thought I would fit it....The bolts on it aren't long enough to get through the boot as its very thick in this area (double skin) due to the wire harness running through so I had to modify it (should have know that nothing would work first time) so longer bolts fitted and all good.

The other thing that I didn't like was where the wire came though the boot inside then i would be looping it back through the boot again to put it into the lamp - so i drilled the hole at the back of the lamp and then pushed the wire back into the boot and pushed it through the double skin gap to get it into the lamp - this means that i can fill the inside and have it flush....nice!


The first shine bit is fitted!


So for the boot latch I wanted it to be hidden - a) because I don't line the 'T' handles much and b) so i don't have everything squashed on the boot.....so i sourced some internal latches and now to see how on earth mount it. So first up was to mount the latch on the boot base - this has a wire pul to open the boot - I will then mount a lever in thecae to open the boot.I mounted the latch on wood an then used P40 to cover it and seal it into place - it is also bolted though the chassis - but had to use rivets in reverse to that they don't protrude under the car as the tank goes hard against the boot bottom.


 Now to mount the striker on the boot lid - same applies - screwed in from the outside countersunk in - if they do show through the paint a little it won't matter as the plate will be covering this area.
And it works!!!







No comments:

Post a Comment