Pages

Friday 11 September 2015

6, Heater Matrix


So I managed to find a Polo MkII heater matrix on eBay and here it is in all its 'glory'.

First job was to cut off the angled face - the manual states not to do this so that it fits but I think mine had some part of it missing as it would never fit as it was so I cut it flat to fit against the bulk head.                                      A quick test with a battery confirms it is working and a new matrix was ordered to fit.  This has to be fitted to inside of the engine bay so that it will vent through a hole in the bulkhead. 


I measured out the hole required and with a deep breath cut the hole in the bulkhead - all good.  Now I need to attach it.  i decided to bolt it through, so I drilled holes and inserted bolts into the edges of the matrix as seen below.




This was pretty tight when inserting the matrix back in but with some persuasion it went in ok; at least this way I'm sure it won't fall off!




Now I read that the heater can't draw air from the engine bay or as the IVA stuff states "from a possible source of pollution".  I would hope that the engine wont be polluting the engine bay but even so it aint allowed so I need to pipe it into the cabin.


I bought some ports from http://www.carbuildersolutions.com/uk/ and drilled a hole in the body from engine bay through to passenger footwell and then cut a piece of plastic to blank off the inlet to the heater - this is just an open side so a large flat piece was required and a port was put in the centre (ish).  All taped up waiting to dry - actually I think the glue is not very good so ill try tomorrow and see if it needs re-doing.  Hopefully it will be ok.......ok thats done it - its bound to need to be re-done!



Where do you buy a piece of black plastic?  I have no idea - so my black bucket had to pay the price - its base is now my new heater matrix blanking plate!


 I used some grip fill glue I had - but that didn't work at all, It didn't stay on - so round two occurred - hopefully with more success!!!!!  Proper EVO glue used for plastic.....



If it all dries ok Ill pipe between the two - I am not putting anything in finally yet as I need to sort the engine bay.



Originally I intended to get the stainless cladding but I'm not personally keen on this - Jon at AK said the latest demo car 'Ruby' has the engine bay painted the same colour and the body - so this I think may be the solution for me.  We will see.....

I positioned the ports ensuring that the heater control could have free movement - I have read that some people leave it permanently set to hot as realistically this is the only setting you will use - but as I haven't decided which is right for me yet I'm playing safe.


Now for inside - So 2 or 4 ports?  Manual states two - for the demisters but I (in theory) want to use the car when its chilly as well so I'm putting 4 in - 2 for the footwells also.  I have driven to work recently on lovely days when its been 4-6degC at 5am leaving and 18Deg C at 6pm coming back so they might come in handy!

Ports were from screw fix - an idea stolen from Tommys Blog (http://tommysak427.blogspot.co.uk).  


 Now for the pipes - the dieting form CBS was quite expensive but I found these tubes from screw fix plumbing section and with unscrewing one end and cutting the other the black vent ducts fit perfectly (these were from CBS).  Seems to work well.   I can't fit it all yet as i don't have the chrome vents - need some more £££'s to buy all the shiny bits so it will have to wait!!!  PAH!


So after assessing the latest glueing - NOPE -still rubbish - so it all came off AGAIN! Blood simple job that takes ages.

Whilst moaning in work about this part - one of the guys (Hello Craig!) suggested to use plumbing solvent - seemed a good idea - and yes it worked a treat!


So finally it sticks - the port I was nervous about as the hose is extremely tight (may have to heat it a little to get it on), so I bolted this also to give it additional strength.

Quick power up with battery and all seems to be fine - it will all need sealing with silicone but that will have to wait until after painting so just a temporary fit for now.

So I thought its was all done UNTIL I put the tub on the chassis - the connection to the body clashed with the upper structure of the GENIII chassis - bugger!


So off it came and then another hole was made....and the old one filled.

I LOVE doing things twice - and its pretty much an every time thing on this build!





























No comments:

Post a Comment