Pages

Sunday 7 February 2016

15, Electrics

So to Start the wiring - I ordered the AK loom (much easier I thought)....and it was - and wasn't all at the same time....I will explain.

As I do this for a job (sort of) I'm not daunted by the prospect but i did struggle a little.  The reason for struggling was not technically how to do this - i have no Issue making a loom from scratch but I wanted the save the time - the issue I found that the instructions are a little ambiguous in places and as they dont supply a complete circuit schematic i couldn't tell how some of it connected -i.e. did the relay switch high or low? you can't tell as there is no detail on this - So I will connect how they say and then if ai need to alter anything or change some the circuits to suit what I want then I will have to bell it all out and re work later....

the harness is pretty good - pretty well made and seems to fit fine - although I only have it roughly laid in place right now.

So adding blanking grommets to each cut through was the way forward for me - hoping this would make them easier to seal afterwards.  Seems to work ok.

Its worth pointing out that the AK harness does not come with battery cable so i bought this separately.  Also the main dash removal connections etc all have connectors on but the ends of the leads to lamps/lights/rad etc etc etc - are just bare wires.  Spade connectors or similar are ok but i went for some sealed ones for headlamps etc....so Ill fit these when they come.




Its easiest to lay the wiring out on the floor and label up each leg - the instructions supplied with the loom are pretty good - although some are not clear....I will list these as I come across them.

A few so far:

The Red and yellow wires on the Dash connects near the fuse box are Batt (Red) and Ign Switch Batt (Yellow) - for adding Immo or Cig lighter etc etc....up to you.

So dash wiring commenced - not too bad - but a lot of wires to try and keep tidy - daisy chaining is the key I think so off we go...


So the Dash lights up - a quick test and all good - nice to see them operating (well sort of!)

When now looking behind the dash it looks like an explosion has taken place - so it all needs to come out again...I also found some bits to be incorrect - such as the indicator lamps for Oil and temp that don't need to be grounded in the daisy chain of the others as these ground on the switch side so these need to be +12V supply.....so re-did these as well.

So attempt two - I am NOT putting ups picture of attempt one its too embarrassing!

I am still not happy and although it all works and is fine I have a feeling it will all be coming out again......we will see....

So the wiring isn't terrible but as I said not happy so we will see - will probably all come out again for no real good reason!!



So yeast annoyed me to the point that i couldn't cope anymore so i pulled it all out again and re-did it....

I managed to pull out a few meters of cable - make the connectors come nearer to the Dash so its easier to install and remove a number of joints etc - still not massively tidy but this is very difficult with the layout I have chosen so the result .....pics to follow!

No comments:

Post a Comment